Saturday, February 11, 2012

Go Thundercats Goji Smoothie for 2

I hate the taste of goji berries so I tasked myself with creating an antioxidant packed smoothie that I would be more than willing to drink by the jar so here it is.

Go Thundercats Goji Smoothie

1/2 cup dried goji berries (Navitas)
1 cup distilled/filtered water (for soaking the goji berries)
1 cup fresh squeezed organic orange juice (4 small Trader Joe's organic oranges, juiced)
2 tsp maca powder (Navitas)
1 tsp camu powder (Navitas)
2 tbs agave syrup (Madhava)
1 cup frozen organic raspberries (Trader Joe's)
1 cup frozen pineapple tidbits (Trader Joe's)
2 tbs rice protein powder (Nutribiotic)

First you need to soak the goji berries in water until soft. This can take a half hour or longer so it's best to either do it the night before or throw them in the water right when you wake up. After they're done soaking, throw the goji berries with their liquid into the blender.

Next, I juice my oranges.*

After getting/making your orange juice throw it into the blender too along with all the other ingredients and blend until smooth. Makes about 4 cups.

*A note about oranges/juice: Usually I use a citrus juicer or do this by hand if I'm drinking it straight up but for smoothies I use a centrifugal juicer because it puts more pith in the juice and gives it a sweeter, smoother taste. If you don't want to go through the effort, I'm sure there are good orange juices out there but most of them contain flavor chemicals that they don't have to list on the label and the juice sits in a vacuumed vat for who knows how long before being packaged as orange juice "not from concentrate." Guess that's why the juice tastes exactly the same no matter what batch you buy from that brand. Scary. Gross. Fortunately vodka makes everything better, right?

At least shoot for organic if you're going to go for instant juice. To get 1 cup of orange juice it takes about 2 large oranges or 4 small ones. This morning I used 4 small oranges but when Costco gets their Valencia's in I buy at least a ten pound box a week even though they aren't organic. They taste so good and make me feel so great that I just throw caution to the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment